| Viper storage is considered 'scratch', please remember to back up your data! |
Users are not permitted to store personal or sensitive information on Viper.
Transferring Data on Viper
Small to medium amounts of data
This can be carried out using a number of SFTP-styled packages such as sftp, scp, rsync, and Filezilla to name a few. Filezilla can be downloaded as a Windows application and may be more suitable for people who prefer a Windows environment, rather than the command line.
Note that plain FTP is disabled on viper.hull.ac.uk and SFTP (secure FTP) is the recommended method.
The following can only be performed on Windows after installing MobaXterm or PuTTY.
The example user is user1; you will need to enter your own username here:
|From your local computer to Viper|
|scp myfile firstname.lastname@example.org:myfile|
|rsync -av my-directory viper.hull.ac.uk:/data/users/YourID|
|From Viper to your local Computer|
|rsync -av viper.hull.ac.uk:/data/users/YourID/mydatadirectory|
The following example uses MobaXterm, for transferring large files it is recommended to use FileZilla. For instructions on how to use FileZilla view the Linux section. follow the instruction in the Getting Connected section for installing MobaXterm.
1. To upload files to Viper, navigate to the directory you wish to upload files to use the MobaXterm file browser and click the 'Upload to current folder' button. 2. Choose the file/files to upload and click open or alternatively drag and drop the file/files you wish to upload over the Viper file browser.
3. The upload may take some time depending on upload speed and file size.
1. To download files from Viper, navigate to the directory using the MobaXterm file browser. 2. Select the file/files you wish to download and click the 'download selected files button'. 3. Choose the directory where you want the files to download and click ok.
4. The download will start, depending on download speed and file size this may take some time.
The following example uses Cyberduck, you can download Cyberduck from https://cyberduck.io macOS also supports FileZilla for an example of how to use FileZilla please view the Linux section
1. Click Open Connection.
2. From the drop-down menu select SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)
3. Enter server viper.hull.ac.uk, Port: 22, Username: University UID, Password: university password
4. Click Connect
1. Click Upload
2. Choose the file/folder you want to upload and click Choose
3. The transfer window will appear
4. Please note due to file size the upload may take some time
1. From the file browser right-click on the file/folder to download and select download from the menu
2. The transfer window will appear
3. Please note due to file size the download may take some time
The following example uses FileZilla, you can download FileZilla from https://filezilla-project.org/
1. Enter the Host: viper.hull.ac.uk, username, password, and port: 22, using an SFTP connection. 2. A pop-up will appear informing that the server host key is unknown. Click always trust this host and click ok. In the remote site box, your Viper directory will appear.
3. To transfer files click and drag the file/folder from either your pc to Viper (left to right) or from Viper to your pc (right to left). The transfer will start depending on transfer speed and file size this may take some time.
Larger amounts of data (100GB +)
To avoid excessive network congestion and the long period of time to transfer such data please contact us via the Support Portal for further details. This may typically involve connecting a USB data drive directly to Viper to copy the data quickly into your user area.